Find out when to turn to a pediatrician near you when your child has an ear infection.
Most children will deal with an ear infection by the time they turn three years old; however, if this is the first health problem your child is facing you may not know what to do. Should you turn to a pediatrician or wait it out? If you’re looking for the best pediatrician here in Edinburg and McAllen, TX, to treat your child’s ear infection then turn to Dr. Livania Zavala-Spinetti at Edinburg Children’s Clinic for immediate care.
First, it’s important to recognize the warning signs of an ear infection. Babies and infants won’t be able to verbalize that their ear hurts or that they are in pain; however, be on the lookout for these signs and behavioral changes that could signify an ear infection,
- Increased fussiness or crying more often
- Difficulty sleeping
- Increased crying or tantrums when lying down
- Fever (more common in babies)
- Pulling or tugging at the ear
- Ear drainage
- Changes in their hearing (they may not respond to your voice or certain sounds)
- Loss of balance or increased clumsiness
Many children may develop an ear infection after a respiratory infection such as a cold or sore throat, and the good news is that most ear infections will go away on their own without needing antibiotics. However, if your child’s symptoms don’t seem to improve within 1-2 days then it may be time to speak with our McAllen, TX, pediatrician to determine the best course of action. While your pediatrician may prescribe antibiotics, most ear infections won’t require antibiotics unless the infection is severe, or your child is under 2 years old.
It’s best not to wait out your child’s symptoms if,
- They are also vomiting
- They are under 6 months old
- They are over 6 months old and have a fever for more than 2 days
- There is swelling in the ear
- They aren’t about to hear well, or there is sudden hearing loss
- They are in a lot of pain
If you are looking for the best pediatrician in McAllen and Edinburg, TX, for your family, find out if our team is the right fit for you. Call Edinburg Children’s Clinic today at (956) 331-6063 or (956) 682-4500 to schedule an appointment or to get your child the treatment they need.